By Matt Wickstrom
ASHEVILLE, NC. (Jan. 12, 2018) – The Jon Stickley Trio has announced a change in lineup beginning in January 2018 with a new drummer. Hunter Deacon, who is both classically trained and boasts heavy jazz influences, will replace Patrick Armitage. Hailing from the ever-hip Knoxville, Tn., Deacon studied with drummer Keith Brown and received a BM in Studio Music and Jazz from the University of Tennessee. Deacon then went on to complete a six-month residency at a jazz club in Hangzhou, China, where he performed seven nights a week. Since his return, he’s played with Scott Miller and the Commonwealth, toured the country with Sam Lewis, and performs with guitarist Mike Baggetta.
Stickley says about the seemingly sudden lineup change, “we’re really excited to add Hunter’s vibe to the mix, his creativity and willingness to experiment were two things that drew us to him, and Lyndsay and I were quickly surprised and inspired by what he’ll bring to the table.”
With inspiration ranging from Green Day to Duran Duran to Tony Rice to Nirvana, Grateful Dead, David Grisman and beyond, the Trio is making waves with their unique sound. Along with releasing two full-length albums and one EP in the past few years, the Trio has zig-zagged the nation, playing over 120 dates in 2017 alone. They are road tested and band geek approved!
Dave King (of The Bad Plus) joined forces with Jon Stickley Trio to produce 2017’s “Maybe Believe” and 2015’s “Lost At Last” (which The New York Times called “both respectful and free”) in the band’s hometown of Asheville, NC at the esteemed Echo Mountain Recording Studio. The Trio slipped a self-produced 5-track EP, “Triangular,” into the mix in December of 2016.
“In a time when a lot of instrumental music feels more like math than art, Jon Stickley Trio reminds us of the pure joy that can be created and shared through music,” says Greensky Bluegrass’ Anders Beck.
Stickley says, “The Trio feels fresher and hotter than ever, we’ve hit our stride in terms of creating tunes that are uniquely us and that’s a really exciting place to be musically. Not to mention we are so stoked to get back to many of our favorite festivals and clubs, and even more excited to play some the ones we’ve always dreamed of. 2018 will, without a doubt, be our best year yet!”
The Trio has performed in Kentucky in the past in both Lexington and Louisville along with last year’s Moonshiner’s Ball in Irvine, and will continue to return with upcoming dates in Louisville at Zanzabar on March 29 and in neraby Bean Blossom, In., at the John Hartford Memorial Festival from May 31 to June 1. See below for a full tour schedule.
Jon Stickley Trio On Tour
- 1/18 – Capital Ale House – Richmond, Va. *w/ Town Mountain
- 1/19 – The Clementine Cafe – Harrisonburg, Va. *w/ Town Mountain
- 1/20 – House Concert – Chambersburg, Pa.
- 1/21 – Boathouse Live – Newport News, Va. *w/ Town Mountain
- 2/3 – Cumberland Caverns Live Volcano Room – McMinnville, Tn. *w/ Front Country
- 2/8 – The Mansion at Strathmore – Bethesda, Md.
- 2/9-10 – 5 Points Music Sanctuary – Roanoke, Va. *w/ Jenni Lyn & TBA
- 2/14 – Tennessee Shines Radio Show at Boyd’s Jig and Reel – Knoxville, Tn.
- 2/15 – The Station Inn – Nashville, Tn.
- 2/16 – Atomic Cowboy – St. Louis, Mo.
- 2/17 – Mike Kelly’s Westsider – Kansas City, Mo.
- 2/20 – eTown – Boulder, Co. *w/ Billy Strings
- 2/22 – Cervantes Other Side – Denver, Co. *w/ Old Salt Union & The Deer
- 2/23-24 – WinterWondergrass Co. – Steamboat Springs, Co.
- 2/25 – Steve’s Guitars – Carbondale, Co.
- 2/28 – Lefty’s Live Music – Des Moines, Ia.
- 3/1 – The Famous Mockingbird – Marion, Ia.
- 3/2 – Redstone Room at River Music Experience – Davenport, Ia.
- 3/3 – Bourbon On Division – Chicago, Il.
- 3/8 – Gottrocks – Greenville, SC.
- 3/9 – Savannah Stopover Festival – Savannah, Ga.
- 3/22-25 – Suwannee Spring Reunion – Live Oak, Fl.
- 3/29 – Zanzabar – Louisville, Ky.
- 3/31 – Music at Murdock’s – Manhattan, Ks.
- 4/5-8 – WinterWonderGrass – Olympic Park – North Lake Tahoe, Co.
- 4/12-13 – Bender Jamboree – Las Vegas, Nv.
- 4/17 – Taos Mesa Brewing – El Prado, NM.
- 4/20 – Magnolia Motor Lounge – Fort Worth, Tx.
- 4/21 – Old Settler’s Music Festival – Dale, Tx.
- 4/28 – Some Kind Of Jam 13 – Schuylkill Haven, Pa.
- 5/25-26 – DelFest – Cumberland, Md.
- 5/31-6/1 – John Hartford Music Festival – Bean Blossom, In.
- 7/20-22 – Northwest String Summit – North Plains, Or.
Additional coverage of the Jon Stickley Trio at BBT