LEXINGTON, Ky. (Feb. 8, 2017) – Ask Mitski Miyawaki about happiness and she’ll warn you: “Happiness fucks you.” It’s a lesson that’s been writ large into the New Yorker’s gritty, outsider-indie for years, but never so powerfully as on her newest album, Puberty 2, out in 2016 via Dead Oceans. The follow-up to 2014’s Bury Me At Makeout Creek, named after a Simpsons quote and hailed by Pitchfork as “a complex 10-song story [containing] some of the most nuanced, complex and articulate music that’s come from the indiesphere in a while,” Puberty 2 picks up where its predecessor left off. Musically, there are subtle evolutions: electronic drum machines pulse throughout beneath Pixies-ish guitars, while saxophone lights up its opening track.
In terms of message though, the 25-year-old cuts the same defiant, feminist figure on Puberty 2 that won her acclaim last time around (her hero is MIA, for her politics as much as her music). Born in Japan, Mitski grew up surrounded by her father’s Smithsonian folk recordings and mother’s 1970s Japanese pop CDs in a family that moved frequently: she spent stints in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malaysia, China and Turkey among other countries before coming to New York to study composition at SUNY Purchase.
Sadness is awful and happiness is exhausting in the world of Mitski. The effect of Puberty 2, however, is a stark opposite: invigorating, inspiring and beautiful. It’s both beautiful and brutal romantic hinterland, in which one of America’s new voices hits a brave new stride.
Mitski will perform at Zanzabar in Louisville and The Burl in Lexington on March 17 and 18 as part of a handful of headlining dates with support from Half Waif ahead of a month-long North American tour supporting Lorde and Run the Jewels. Full a full tour itinerary below.
MITSKI 2018 TOUR DATES
- March 16 – Pittsburgh, Pa. – Cattivo *
- March 17 – Louisville, Ky. – Zanzabar *
- March 18 – Lexington, Ky. – The Burl *
- March 20 – Bloomington, In. – The Bishop *
- March 21 – Milwaukee, Wi. – The Backroom @ Colectivo Coffee *
- March 22 – Madison, Wi. – High Noon Saloon *
- March 24 – Lincoln, Ne. – Pinnacle Bank Arena ^
- March 25 – Des Moines, Ia. – Wells Fargo Arena ^
- March 27 – Rosemont, Il. – Allstate Arena ^
- March 28 – Detroit, Mi. – Little Caesars Arena ^
- March 29 – Toronto, ON – Air Canada Centre ^
- March 31 – Columbus, Oh. – Schottenstein Center ^
- April 2 – Philadelphia, Pa. – Wells Fargo Center ^
- April 3 – Boston, Ma. – TD Banknorth Garden ^
- April 4 – Brooklyn, NY – Barclays Center ^
- April 6 – Newark, NJ – Prudential Center ^
- April 7 – Uncasville, Ct. – Mohegan Sun Arena ^
- April 8 – Washington, DC – The Anthem ^
- April 11 Tampa, Fl. – Amalie Arena ^
- April 12 – Miami, Fl. – American Airlines Arena ^
- April 14 – Duluth, Ga. – Infinite Energy Center ^
- April 15 – Nashville, Tn. – Bridgestone Arena ^
*w/ Half Waif
^w/ Lorde and Run the Jewels