By Matt Wickstrom
FLOYD, Va. (Feb. 13, 2018) – In their seventh round of artist reveals Across-the-Way Productions and FloydFest have unveiled emerging Eastern Kentucky country artist Tyler Childers, jam and southern rock fixtures Gov’t Mule and The Mother Hips to perform at FloydFest 18~Wild, held July 25-29 atop the Blue Ridge Mountains of Floyd, Va.
The announcement marks the first FloydFest ventures for Childers and the Mother Hips, but not for Haynes, who performed at the festival in 2016 along with scheduled headliner Gregg Allman, who fell ill and canceled mere hours before his scheduled performance, later dying in May 2017.
For Childers, his addition to FloydFest is one of many high-profile events the Kentucky songsmith is pegged to perform in 2018, which includes performances at Bonnaroo, Stagecoach Festival, Summer Camp and Blue Ox to go along with select dates with John Prine, Margo Price and others. All this success follows Childers’ debut release Purgatory last August, produced with the help of fellow Kentuckian Sturgill Simpson.
The most recent additions to the festival join previously announced FloydFest bands that include recent Grammy winners Jason Isbell (Best Americana Album for The Nashville sound, Best American Roots Song for “If We Were Vampires”) and Infamous Stringdusters (Best Bluegrass Album for Laws of Gravity), Leftover Salmon, Keller Williams solo and PettyGrass (ft. The Hillbenders) Foster the People, Old Crow Medicine Show, ZZ Ward, Hiss Golden Messenger, Greta Van Fleet, Lukas Nelson & The Promise of the Real, Antibalas, Langhorne Slim, Nikki Lane, The Steel Wheels, Son Little, The Lil Smokies, Horesshoes & Hand Grenades, No BS! Brass Band, Devon Gilfillian, Lindsay Lou, South Hill Banks, Dharma Bombs, The National Reserve, The Broadcast, Erin & The Wildfire, Louisville’s Mama Said String Band, Fireside Collective, Sol Searchers, Blue Mule, The Floorboards, My Radi, Black Mountain Revival, GOT, Morgan Wade & The Stepbrothers and Los Chupacabras.
Started in 2002, FloydFest has grown to be one of the biggest festivals in and around Appalachia. Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Floyd, Va., FloydFest combines the top established and emerging artists with arts and crafts, yoga, poetry, workshops and more with a mission of sustainability and going green that provides for one of the most unique festival experiences around. For more information, including to purchase tickets, visit floydfest.com.
Previous FloydFest coverage on Big Blue Tunes
- Floydfest 18~Wild adds Leftover Salmon, new Keller Williams project and more
- Old Crow Medicine Show, Greta Van Fleet, No BS! Brass Band join FloydFest lineup
- Lukas Nelson, Lil Smokies among latest additions to FloydFest 18 ~ Wild
- McBroom named CFO and co-owner of Across-the-Way Productions, FloydFest
- Creative Types: Tyler Childers
- Floydfest 16 gathers unique acts, handles unexpected curveball
- Lil Smokies move from Big Sky to Big Time
- Horseshoes and Hand Grenades to bring high-energy bluegrass to Springfest
- Feet stompin’, string playin’ Old Crow Medicine Show shine in Singletary Center
- Old Crow Medicine Show to bring platinum music to Singletary Center