By Matt Wickstrom
LEXINGTON, Ky. — Christmas is here, and with it Santa has brought a sleigh full of stellar live music with the return of Nashville rockers the Blackfoot Gypsies, an EP release from People Planet and a twangy post-holiday throw down with Restless Leg String Band on the menu. View all of my top picks for Dec. 23-29 below and the entire menu here.
Post-holiday comatose gotcha? Come down to The Burl on Dec. 27 and shake a leg with Restless Leg String Band. The evening kicks off at 9 p.m. with the southern twang and smooth pedal steel of the Kentucky Hoss Cats before Restless Leg takes the stage with their jubilant blend of high-energy, improvisational bluegrass.
They may not be from Lexington, but Blackfoot Gypsies have made a second home of sorts out of the city, namely The Burl, in recent years, which is where they’ll return on Dec. 28. The foursome led by Matthew Paige on guitar/vocals, Dylan Whitlow on bass and Zack Murphy on drums will have their in-your-face, feel good blend of southern rock’n roll flanked by Louisville’s Bendigo Fletcher and Huntington, WV’s Ona for a 9 p.m. start.
The comedic rockabilly sounds of Unknown Hinson return to town on Dec. 29 for an early 7 p.m. show at The Burl. Better known as the voice of Early Culyer on Adult Swim’s Squidbillies, Unknown Hinson will have you on the floor laughing at songs such as “Alkyhol Withdrawal” and “I Cleaned out a Room (In My Trailer for You)”.
Following Hinson’s performance will be a late show with Pluck Yeah featuring members of Louisville jamgrass troupe Vessel and Dark Moon Hollow, an up-and-coming Lexington band blending honky tonk and progressive bluegrass for an intoxicating sound that’ll have you on your feet and dancing in no time.
Youthful Lexington indie rockers People Planet will celebrate the release of their debut EP Power Play on Dec. 29 at Tadoo Lounge. The group’s EP, which you can learn more about later this week in the Lexington Herald-Leader, features a diverse blend of music ranging from pop-punk to blues with soul and rock soaked excursions along the way. The group, comprised of Daisy Helmuth on vocals, Madeline Farrar on bass, Charlie Overman on guitar and Jack Quinn on drums, will be supported on the evening by The Slaps and Boytown USA, with the all-ages show beginning at 7:30 p.m.
- WICK’S PICKS: Ep. 48 – 12/17/18 (w/ Rachel Crowe and Senora May)
- LIVE MENU: Dec. 16-22 (Wells’ Wine and Dine edition)
- Restless Leg String Band and Wayne Graham bring a taste of Kentucky to Columbus
- PREMIERE: Bendigo Fletcher sing of solitary times on “Winter Strokes”
- PREMIERE: People Planet tackle heartache, anger and confusion on ‘Rehab’
- Restless Leg String Band working hard to have a good time on new album
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 27 – 7/2/18 (w/ Nicholas Jamerson, Grayson Jenkins, Dark Moon Hollow)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 22 – 5/30/18 (w/ Restless Leg String Band)
- Wick’s Picks: Grayson Jenkins, Wesley Smith and Ryan Allen LIVE in studio (2/7/18)
- Grayson Jenkins quit his day job at UK to pursue music full time
- Nashville band brings rock ’n’ roll to Burl’s anniversary show
- Blackfoot Gypsies bring old vibes to new album
- Photos: Blackfoot Gypsies Feb. 10 in Lexington (The Burl)
- Blackfoot Gypsies seek to go ‘To the Top!’ with new album
- Restless Leg String Band guitarist on the making of the band’s first album