By Matt Wickstrom
LEXINGTON, Ky. — Central Kentucky’s music scene has been building momentum in recent years. While breakout artists such as Chris Stapleton, Sturgill Simpson and more recently Tyler Childers and The Wooks have garnered much of that attention, others, such as 2018 torchbearers Joslyn & The Sweet Compression and Magnolia Boulevard, have also been turning ears to music from the Bluegrass state.
As we venture into 2019, many of the same players are sure to continue to stake their claim in the local scene, while others look to expand their following.
On that note, here’s some of the top emerging local bands and artists you should be on the lookout for in the new year.
Led by guitarists/songwriters Brett Horton and “Trigger” Trey Reinhart along with Thomas Keathley on banjo and David Fish on bass, Dark Moon Hollow formed in late 2017 out of many a late night jam session.
The group extracts honky tonk influences from Horton, a long-time musician from Sandy Hook who grew up playing atop Poppy Mountain in previous project Horton Holler. The rest of the band lends its expertise to the bluegrass realm, resulting in a high-energy sound that serves up the best of Kentucky’s signature musical stylings.
The group has built a solid foundation in their short time gigging together, performing a number of high-profile gigs 2018 including an appearance at Restless Leg String Band’s album release show at The Burl in July and on Red Barn Radio in October.
Using that foundation, Dark Moon Hollow has also garnered recognition as a nominee for Best Bluegrass Band at the fifth annual Lexington Music Awards, to be held at 6 p.m. on Jan. 27 at the Lyric Theatre.
Read the full story at LexGO.com.
- Wick’s Picks: Best Albums of 2018
- Nominees announced for 5th annual Lexington Music Awards
- Jason Isbell, The War and Treaty and Lost Dog Street Band top the 26th Master Musicians Festival lineup
- Lylak deliver indie rock soaked truths on “What We Have”
- Alabama, Blackberry Smoke and Chelsea Nolan lead first wave of Tumbleweed lineup
- Dark Moon Hollow bring foot-stomping honky-tonk to Red Barn Radio debut
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 42 – 10/29/18 (w/ Massive Cult and Much Obliged)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 39 – 10/8/18 (w/ Chelsea Nolan, Dan Conn and Jen Tackett)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 38 – 10/1/18 (w/ Brett Horton and Donnie Bowling)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 37 – 9/24/18 (w/ Lylak and Sean Whiting)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 36 – 9/17/18 (w/ NewTown and Wayne Graham)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 27 – 7/2/18 (w/ Nicholas Jamerson, Grayson Jenkins, Dark Moon Hollow)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 15 – 4/18/18 (w/ Chelsea Nolan)