By Matt Wickstrom
SLADE, Ky. — Signature Kentucky soul, country and Americana will converge on the National Bridge Campground in Slade, Ky. from June 28-30, 2019, for the second annual Festival of the Red featuring performances from former Fifth on the Floor frontman Justin Wells, rising songbird Chelsea Nolan and soul-soaked rocker Sean Whiting & The Handsome Bastards.
Joining Wells, Nolan and Whiting are an array of artists from Kentucky, West Virginia and Kansas that include Laid Back Country Picker, T.A. Clayton & The Soulminers, Eric Bolander & These Assholes, Jeremy Short, The Local Honeys, Charles Wesley Godwin, Chris Stewart, Luna & The Mountain Jes, Josh Nolan, Chad Vaughn, Chris & Jenn Shouse, Aaron Boyd, Red River Revival, Tyler Smith, Jinx Machine, The Handshake Deals, Jennifer Richardson & Ed Hughes; Waylon Nelson, Spooky Fox, Donovan Howard, Ritch Henderson, Ethan Wayne, Seth Ferguson and Brittany Snowden & Southern Soul.
In addition to music, Festival of the Red allows ample opporutnity to center yourself around nature, with numerous walking trails and scenic areas in the nearby Natural Bridge State Resort Park and Red River Gorge – one of the world’s top rock climbing destinations – both nestled inside the Daniel Boone National Forest.
Tickets for Festival of the Red will be available on Jan. 18. For more information visit festivalofthered.com.
- Which local bands should you be looking for – and listening to – in 2019?
- From truck drivers to singer-songwriters. Album release party has two Kentucky bands.
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 45 – 11/26/18 (w/ Nick Dittmeier and The Local Honeys)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 39 – 10/8/18 (w/ Chelsea Nolan, Dan Conn and Jen Tackett)
- Sean Whiting delivers soul-shattering performance on “Just the Same”
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 37 – 9/24/18 (w/ Lylak and Sean Whiting)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 29 – RYVOLI, Supermoon, Laid Back Country Picker
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 24 – 6/13/18 (w/ Eric Bolander)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 17 – 5/2/18 (w/ Justin Wells)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 15 – 4/18/18 (w/ Chelsea Nolan)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 13 – 3/28/18 (w/ Jeremy Short)
- The Local Honeys aim for trailblazing traditional music
- The many hats of Eric Bolander
- Justin Wells lyrics run deep with debut record