By Matt Wickstrom
LEXINGTON, Ky. — This week members of Mama Said String Band and Brother Smith joined Matt Wickstrom and special co-host Joe Schlaak of Restless Leg String Band for Wick’s Picks on Lexington Community Radio.
Kicking off the program were Kaitlen Farmer, Katie Didit and David O’Neal of Louisville bluegrass and old-time group Mama Said String Band. The trio of musicians discussed recent shows for the Mayor of Louisville and upcoming festival gigs with Galactic, Keller Williams and others; updated fans on the progress of recording their sophomore album and more ahead of their Valentine’s Day performance at The Burl with Them Coulee Boys.
Joining us for the second hour of Wick’s Picks were Wes and Aaron Smih of Brother Smith. The duo talked about growing up in a musical family, Brother Smith’s formation, songwriting, recent gigs performing the national anthem at a Cincinnati Reds’ game along with a pre-game concert prior to UK football’s first game of a historic 2018 season, and much more.
Throughout the show we also heard music from Mama Said, Brother Smith, Them Coulee Boys, Newtown, Sour Cream, Johnny Conqueroo and Otto Helmuth. Listen to a full archive of the show below.
Tune in each and every week from 9-11 a.m. to Wick’s Picks on Lexington Community Radio. Find the station on the dial at 93.9 FM-WLXU or stream online at lexingtoncommunityradio.org.
- WICK’S PICKS: Ep. 54 – 2/4/19 (w/ The Native Howl, NP Presley and Nicholas Jamerson)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 32 – 8/13/18 (w/ John R. Miller, Magnolia Boulevard, Katie Didit, Vivian Leigh)
- Wick’s Picks: Mama Said String Band in VR
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 14 – 4/4/18 (w/ Mama Said String Band)
- Wick’s Picks: Grayson Jenkins, Wesley Smith and Ryan Allen LIVE in studio (2/7/18)