By Matt Wickstrom
LEXINGTON, Ky. — A Record Store Day celebration at CD Central, the Red Wagon festival and an EP release show from Lylak lead the charge on this week’s live menu. View all of my top Central Kentucky concert picks for April 8-14 below and the entire menu here.
Tune in on Monday, April 8 from 9-11 a.m. for episode 63 of Wick’s Picks on Lexington Community Radio when members of Driftwood Gypsy and Lylak join the program. Tune in on the dial at 93.9 FM-WLXU or online at LexingtonCommunityRadio.org.
Brooklyn folk group The Lone Bellow make their debut at The Burl on Monday, April 8 as part of their TRIIIO Tour featuring Zach Williams (guitar/vocals), Kanene Donehey Pipkin (multi-instrumentalist), and Brian Elmquist (guitar). The group rose in popularity following their self-titled debut in 2013 due to their blistering harmonies, heartfelt lyrics and frenetic energy that captivated audiences nationwide. The group later built on that momentum with 2017’s Walk Into A Storm produced by Dave Cobb (Chris Stapleton, Brandi Carlile, Sturgill Simpson). More recently, the band released The Restless EP, a self-produced collection of new material, covers, and reimagined acoustic recordings of previously released songs.
The Ox-Eyed Daisies, a husband and wife duo comprised of Cody Penn and Elizabeth Frazier, comes to Lynagh’s Irish Pub on Friday, April 12. The duo is still getting their sea legs in Kentucky after moving to the Commonwealth in late 2018 from Ohio. However, the group displays enormous promise behind the fiery picking of Penn on guitar weaving in and out of Frazier’s soothing harmonies. Friday’s show is a late one, beginning at 10 p.m.
An eclectic blend of local acts will gather at CD Central on the afternoon of Saturday, April 13 to perform at the shop as part of Record Store Day 2019. Music begins at 1 p.m. with bluegrass outfit Dark Moon Hollow and continues with the psych-rock of Sweet Country Meat Boys (2 p.m.), Brazilian music of Duo Rocha Gandara (3 p.m.) and rock of NP Presley & The Ghost of Jesse Garon (4 p.m.) along with hundreds of special vinyl releases, special swag, food from Roll’n Smoke and more.
Local and regional acts including Justin Wells, NewTown, The Tillers, The Allman Butter Band and Coralee & The Townies will perform at the inaugural Red Wagon Festival at the Red Mile on April 13. The family-friendly event, benefitting the children of Shriner’s Hospital, will also include concessions, carriage rides, pony rides, a cornhole tournament, and chainsaw wood carving. Saturday’s festivities begin at noon.
Lexington’s ambient rock foursome Lylak return to The Burl on Saturday, April 13 to celebrate the release of their EP Leave It To Light, out the day prior. The group will be joined by Cincinnati’s Turtledoves and Columbus’ This Pine Box on the evening, with music kicking off at 9 p.m. For more on the band an EP stay tuned for the archive of Wick’s Picks on Lexington Community Radio from April 8 when Gideon Maki, Paul Varnado and Zach Martin joined the program.
- Southland Jamboree reveals 2019 artist lineup
- WICK’S PICKS: Ep. 60 (Sweet Country Meat Boys and Jonathan New)
- New festival at Red Mile to benefit Shriners Hospitals
- Dark Moon Hollow, Driftwood Gypsy and If Birds Could Fly join FloydFest for On the Rise competition
- JD Crowe and a bevy of familiar faces on the menu for Festival of the Bluegrass
- WICK’S PICKS: Ep. 54 – 2/4/19 (w/ The Native Howl, NP Presley and Nicholas Jamerson)
- Which local bands should you be looking for – and listening to – in 2019?
- Lylak deliver indie rock soaked truths on “What We Have”
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 38 – 10/1/18 (w/ Brett Horton and Donnie Bowling)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 37 – 9/24/18 (w/ Lylak and Sean Whiting)
- NewTown adds guitarist Jared Hensley
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 36 – 9/17/18 (w/ NewTown and Wayne Graham)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 27 – 7/2/18 (w/ Nicholas Jamerson, Grayson Jenkins, Dark Moon Hollow)
- Wick’s Picks: Ep. 17 – 5/2/18 (w/ Justin Wells)